Creation spirituality retreat: Christian faith and spirituality in an evolving cosmos
Over the past half century, we have become increasingly aware of a growing scientific consensus about the expanding universe that originated in a burst of energy sorne fourteen billion years ago and the evolving earth community that has become conscious in the emergence of the human.
- How can Christian faith and spirituality, developed and lived within the static and juridical categories of ancient philosophies, be re-thought within the dynamic and physical categories of contemporary science?
- Is it possible that what materialist evolutionists often take to be the religiously ruinous consequences of scientific thought are in fact fresh openings to mysterious sacred depths of reality previously unfathomed?
- What in our tradition needs to change?
- What must be retained?
- Where do we encounter God in today’s world of quirks and quarks,chaos and creativity?
- How shall we pray alone and with others?
These are the kind of questions we will explore together in this retreat.
Sister Donna Geernaert, SC
Born in Saskatchewan, Donna Geernaert grew up in Vancouver, BC. She joined the Sisters of Charity of Halifax and earned her initial degree at Mount Saint Vincent University. She holds a PhD in Theology from the University of St. Michael’s College,Toronto and has taught at Mount Saint Vincent University in Halifax and Saint Joseph’s College in Edmonton. As director of ecumenical and interfaith relations for the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops from 1984-2002, she served on the Canadian Council of Churches Governing Board and Commission on Faith and Witness, participated in ecumenical conversations with Anglican, Lutheran, Orthodox, and United churches, as well as interfaith dialogue with the Canadian Jewish Congress and with representatives of the Council of Muslim Communities in Canada. From August 2002 to September 2014, she served as the Congregational Leader for the Sisters of Charity-Halifax. More recent activities include a series of workshops on “Cosmology and the new Evangelization” for the Canadian Religious Conference, participation in Canadian bilateral dialogues with Anglican and Lutheran churches, as well as various presentations on ecumenism in Canada and the USA.
Information and registration
Residents: $550.00 or $500.00 (before Dec 31, 2017)
Commuters: $450.00 or $400.00 (before Dec 31, 2017)
Please call to register:
Phone: 905 834-0553
10845 Rathfon Rd.
Port Colborne, ON L3K5V4
10845 Rathfon Rd.
Wainfleet, ON LOS 1VO